I adore sweet potatoes and we have them regularly in curries and as fries with a veggie burger but recently we have started making them the star of the show in this dish of roasted sweet potatoes with feta cheese and spicy chickpeas. It feels like a real health kick with a good helping of chickpeas, crumbly cheese and soft, sweet and creamy roasted sweet potatoes.
The best thing about this dish is that it is SO simple, it’s such an easy mid-week dinner. We just leave off the chilli on the kids version and they love it too. It’s great as a warming dish in winter and as a fresh tasting summer dish when it’s warmer.
What I love about this recipe is that it just allows the main ingredients to stand out, they aren’t all mixed together to create different flavours and they all complement each other perfectly.
They work perfectly on their own or you could have half a sweet potato with a main course. Either way it’s yummy!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 150g feta cheese
- medium chilli powder or chilli flakes
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthways
- brush all over with olive oil including the skin.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Put the sweet potatoes skin side up on to baking paper into the over for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when they are completely cooked through.
- Divide the can on chicikpeas equally on to the flat top of the sweet potatoes.
- Cut the feta cheese into four and crumble each piece over the top of the chickpeas and sweet potato halves.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a liberal sprinkling of your chosen chilli mix.
- Put potatoes back in the over for 10 - 15 mins.
- Roughly chop coriander to add to the top and swerve.